Most people call Uber thinking they are in good hands, but accidents can still happen. In fact, the California Public Utilities Commission conducted a study from 2014 to 2016. The data showed that rideshare drivers in California were involved in accidents at five times the rate of regular taxi cab drivers.
And, unfortunately, some of these accidents result in severe injuries or death.
Have you or a family member been involved in a rideshare accident? Do you have questions about your options? The Capital Law Firm has represented many clients involved in Uber or Lyft incidents. Our accident attorneys can guide you through the legal process. We will fight to get you the compensation you deserve!
Why You Need to Work with a Lyft and Uber Accident Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
Being involved in an accident can cause significant trauma. Victims may have serious injuries. The road to recovery may be long…and expensive. That’s why working with an experienced personal injury lawyer is important. At The Capital Law Firm, our attorneys will guide you to receiving the settlement you deserve. We take pride in helping our clients, and have gotten them millions in compensation.
If you area a victim of an Uber or Lyft accident in Los Angeles, seek medical attention immediately. Your health is the priority! Then, contact our team, who can guide you through the legal process.
Common Causes of Uber Accidents in Los Angeles
Here are some common causes of rideshare accidents in Los Angeles:
1. Distracted Driving: Any driver can become distracted. Uber drivers are no exception. Smartphones, GPS devices, or other passengers may draw a driver’s attention away from the road.
2. Speeding: Going too fast can lead to accidents. Uber drivers may be in a hurry to reach their destination, which can result in speeding.
3. Reckless Driving: Some drivers ignore traffic rules. This is called reckless driving. Reckless driving can also include being aggressive, like weaving in and out of traffic or tailgating.
4. Fatigue: Uber drivers often work long hours. This can lead to driver fatigue and a higher risk of accidents.
5. Poor Weather Conditions: Los Angeles can experience poor weather conditions like heavy rain and fog. This can make roads slippery and lead to accidents.
6. Inexperienced Drivers: Some Uber drivers may not have much experience, or be new to the city. These factors can contribute to accidents.
7. Vehicle Defects: Accidents can be caused by mechanical failures. Brake defects or tire issues may lead to a crash. Regular maintenance of the car is essential to prevent this.
8. Road Conditions: Roads that are in poor condition can lead to a crash.
9. Other Road Users: The actions of other motorists may lead to a collision. Pedestrians and cyclists may also contribute to an accident. They may be distracted, which can lead to a crash.
10. DUI/DWI: Some accidents involve a rideshare driver “Driving Under the Influence” (DUI) or “Driving While Intoxicated” (DWI). Other times, the driver of another vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or drugs. In either case, an accident is far more likely to happen than when sober.
Uber drivers and riders need to prioritize safety and follow traffic laws.
Uber also has safety features in its app. You can share trip details with your friends and family. Both drivers and passengers can rate each other after the trip is over to help maintain a safe environment. If an accident does occur, it needs to be reported to the appropriate authorities and Uber. A proper response and investigation are needed.
Investigating an Uber Accident in Los Angeles
It is very important to contact law enforcement to report an Uber or Lyft accident. An official police report will provide details about the crash site. It also often includes statements from drivers and witnesses. The police might issue citations, and may even provide their opinion as to who was at fault. Be sure to ask for a copy of this report! It will serve as a key piece of evidence if you take legal action.
The next step is to seek legal counsel from experienced professionals. At The Capital Law Firm, we have specialized Uber accident lawyers on our team. Our attorneys care about our clients, and will guide you through the legal process. To us, you are a person, not a “case.” We truly believe in winning by caring!
Legal Rights of Uber Accident Victims in Los Angeles
What are the legal rights of Uber car crash victims?
- You have the right to hold a negligent driver accountable for their actions.
- You have a right to seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
In many cases, however, it can be difficult to do it on your own. You may be struggling to recover from your injuries. You may be worried about how to pay your medical bills. Or, you may have trouble dealing with insurance companies.
It can be difficult to find your way through the legal process. That is where having a qualified lawyer on your side is critical!
Our attorneys at The Capital Law Firm can help you:
- Understand the steps of the legal process
- Gather evidence
- Determine who was at fault for the collision
- Work with Uber or insurance companies on your behalf
- Negotiate out of court for lost wages, pain and suffering, or other damages
- Take your case to court, if necessary
- Secure the best possible outcome for your case!
If you’ve been involved in a rideshare accident, don’t wait to get help. And, don’t trust just any lawyer. At The Capital Law Firm, we believe in winning by caring, and when we fight for you, it’s personal!
Local Laws Governing Uber Accidents in LA
There are both state and local laws that deal with rideshare accidents. Different states treat crashes in different ways. Here are some key things to know in the state of California:
1. California’s At-Fault Insurance System: California has an “at-fault” insurance system for car accidents. This means you can seek compensation from the person who caused the accident, which might include the Uber driver or another driver.
2. Insurance Requirements for Rideshare Companies: The state of California has specific insurance requirements for rideshare companies like Uber. This means that Uber has insurance coverage for their drivers, in case they get into a crash. This coverage is designed to protect you as a passenger. It may also protect the driver of another car. The coverage can help to pay for injuries and damage caused by a car accident.
3. Local Regulations: Cities like Los Angeles may have their own safety rules for vehicle inspections or driver background checks. That means there can be different policies for different areas in one state. It is a good idea to consult with an attorney who knows the local laws. The Capital Law Firm can help you sort through what can be a confusing network of laws.
4. Reporting and Investigation: It is essential to report your Uber accident to the police. The Uber app has a feature which allows you to do this. Then, be sure to document what you can following the accident. Use your phone to take pictures of the road, any car damage, visible injuries or other details. This is important to do to protect your rights. It can also be very helpful for your lawyer to have this evidence when building your case. That, in turn, can help you get the compensation you deserve.
5. Legal Action: Have you been injured in an Uber accident? Consult with a personal injury attorney at The Capital Law Firm. They can help you determine if legal action is worthwhile. They will help you file a personal injury lawsuit against the person at-fault. By doing this, you can seek the compensation you deserve to pay for your injuries and damages.
6. Comparative Negligence: California follows a “comparative negligence” system when it comes to car accidents. This means that more than one party may be found at fault for a collision. When this happens, parties may share responsibility for an accident. They will also share the money given for damages. For example, if you are found to be 50% responsible for the accident, you receive 50% of the compensation.
7. Statute of Limitations: In California, there is a strict time limit for filing a personal injury lawsuit. It’s important to consult with a personal injury lawyer to make sure that you file by that deadline.
Laws can change over time, so consulting with a good lawyer is advised. At The Capital Law Firm, we know local laws and can help you through the legal process. We specialize in personal injury cases, including rideshare accidents. We can take on insurance companies and fight for you to get the best settlement possible! When we fight for you, it’s personal!
Insurance Claims for Uber Accidents in Los Angeles
Uber drivers are required to have personal car insurance like everyone else. But Uber also supplies them with additional coverage. Let’s look at the details of your Uber driver’s insurance. It could impact you if there is an accident.
First, there are three periods to consider when it comes to an Uber ride: “offline,” “available”, and “on-trip.”
Offline: The offline period is where an Uber driver is not on the job. They may be running errands or driving their kids to school. While offline, the driver’s personal auto insurance is covering them. Anyone else riding with them may not be covered. However, there may be some exceptions if the driver has a special rideshare component to their personal policy.
Available: When the driver becomes available to drive others, they log into the Uber app. This begins the “available stage.” At this point, Uber’s insurance coverage kicks in. It works along with the driver’s own personal coverage.
Sometimes, a driver’s own insurance may not be enough. Uber’s coverage can help in this case. It includes some coverage in case the driver or passengers are injured.
On-Trip: “On-trip” means a driver has accepted a trip. They are now transporting passengers. Once the driver has accepted a job, Uber’s policy takes over as the main insurance. It will cover more of both injuries and damages if there is a crash.
Every driver is supposed to have car insurance. But, some drivers don’t have anything. Uber’s insurance will also protect riders if their accident involved a driver with no (or not enough) insurance.
It is comforting to know that Uber provides insurance coverage for accidents during rides involving their drivers. However, navigating the claims process can be very complicated. An insurance company may also make a settlement offer that does not cover the damages you have suffered.
Are you an Uber accident victim? Are you feeling overwhelmed? Our lawyers at The Capital Law Firm can help. We can determine which type of insurance policy applies in your case. We will handle negotiations with insurance companies, too. Trust The Capital Law Firm to provide you with the guidance and support you need!
Uber’s Potential Liability in Accidents
When you’re involved in an accident with an Uber vehicle, it’s important to understand who may be held liable for your injuries and damages. Identifying this correctly may significantly impact your ability to obtain the rightful compensation, thus showing the ways to the best potential outcomes for the client.
Several parties could potentially share responsibility depending on the circumstances of the accident. In this complex web of positions, some others might also be held liable apart from the direct parties involved. Understanding who is responsible in various situations in this course of events is vital and would need proper resources to be determined.
The Uber driver
If the accident was caused by the negligence of the driver, they may be held personally liable for any resulting injuries or damages. You can access their auto insurance policy and file a claim against them, but of course, this would involve legal advice.
Uber as a company
Under certain circumstances, Uber may be held liable for accidents involving their drivers. For example, if the driver was actively transporting passengers during the accident and the driver’s insurance is insufficient to cover your losses, you may be able to include Uber, your ride’s employer, in your claim.
Other negligent parties
In some cases, parties other than the Uber driver may be responsible for an accident. This could include third-party drivers who collided with the Uber vehicle or even entities responsible for the maintenance, repair, and safety of the involved vehicles. Identifying all potentially liable parties is crucial to ensuring you gain access to the full compensation you deserve.
Determining liability and pursuing a claim after an Uber accident isn’t just another one of the careers people assume, it can be complex. The position requires a thorough investigation of the accident, gathering evidence, and negotiating with insurance companies. Having an experienced Uber accident lawyer by your side can greatly enhance your chances of recovering fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
Immediate Actions After an Uber Accident
Imagine you’re on your way home after a long day, relaxing in an Uber, when your peaceful course is disrupted. Suddenly, another vehicle collides with the Uber, causing chaos and leaving you in a state of shock. At this moment, it’s essential to tap into resources and take immediate action to protect yourself legally and physically.
The first step is to ensure the safety of all parties involved. Check if anyone requires urgent medical attention and call 911 if necessary. Even if injuries seem minor or nonexistent at the scene, it’s crucial to always seek a thorough medical evaluation afterward. The health of yourself and others involved comes first.
Next, gather as much evidence as possible. Record the details of the accident, taking note of the time, location, weather conditions, and any contributing factors like road hazards or distracted driving. If you’re able to do so safely, gather visual resources like photos or videos of the accident scene and any visible damages to all vehicles involved.
In a similar vein, Sarah was involved in an Uber accident where the other driver ran a red light and collided with her vehicle. Despite feeling relatively okay right after the incident, she decided to seek medical attention anyway- a piece of advice we’re giving you too. It turned out that she had suffered internal injuries which were only discovered through a comprehensive examination.
Once everyone is safe and you’ve gathered the necessary evidence, it’s time to consider seeking legal assistance for your Uber accident case. Experienced lawyers can help advise you on the best course of action to pursue in the legal realm.
Common Injuries Resulting from Uber Accidents in Los Angeles
Uber accidents, like any other motor vehicle accidents, can result in a wide range of injuries, some of which can be severe.
Common injuries resulting from Uber accidents in Los Angeles and elsewhere include:
1. Whiplash: Whiplash is one of the most common injuries in rear-end collisions, which can occur frequently in urban traffic.
2. Head Injuries: These can range from mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries (TBI), often due to the impact of the collision or striking an object within the vehicle.
3. Fractures and Broken Bones: The force of an accident can lead to broken bones, particularly in the arms, legs, ribs, and collarbones.
4. Spinal Injuries: Uber accidents can result in back injuries, including herniated discs or spinal cord injuries, which can have long-term consequences.
5. Soft Tissue Injuries: These can include damage to muscles, ligaments, and tendons, leading to pain, inflammation, and reduced mobility.
6. Internal Injuries: Internal injuries, such as internal bleeding or organ damage, can occur in severe accidents and may not be immediately apparent.
7. Burns: Burns can result from fires or contact with hot surfaces within the vehicle.
8. Emotional Distress: Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression can develop after a traumatic accident.
9. Scarring and Disfigurement: Severe accidents can lead to permanent scarring and disfigurement, which can have psychological as well as physical effects.
10. Cuts and Lacerations: Broken glass and other debris in an accident can cause cuts and lacerations, some of which may require stitches or other medical attention.
11. Amputations: In very severe accidents, amputations may be necessary, particularly if limbs are severely injured and cannot be saved.
It’s important to seek immediate medical attention after an Uber accident, even if injuries appear minor at first, as some injuries may have delayed symptoms.
Additionally, documenting injuries and obtaining medical records is crucial if you plan to file an insurance claim or seek compensation through legal action.
If you’ve been involved in an Uber accident and have sustained injuries, it’s advisable to consult with a personal injury attorney who can help you understand your rights, navigate the legal process, and pursue compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other damages resulting from the accident.
Securing Medical Attention After an Uber Accident
One of the most significant concerns after an Uber accident is ensuring that all injuries are promptly assessed and treated. Seeking medical attention might seem like an obvious step, but many people underestimate its importance or delay treatment due to various reasons. Remember, your health is the most important thing.
Regardless of how minor your injuries may appear following an Uber accident, it’s crucial to seek medical attention right away. This serves multiple purposes: ensuring your well-being by identifying any hidden or latent injuries, documenting the injuries for your claim, and establishing a clear link between the accident and your medical treatment. This could be pivotal in securing your position and rights in a claim against the parties involved.
Keep in mind that insurance companies often look for any opportunity to dispute claims or downplay injuries. Seeking medical attention immediately after an Uber accident helps establish a clear timeline of events and ensures that all injuries are documented professionally, just as one would tackle an interview question promptly and professionally.
Working with an Experienced Uber Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles, CA
When you find yourself involved in an Uber accident in Los Angeles, navigating the legal process can be overwhelming and complex, just like a challenging job search or preparing for an interview.
This is where working with an experienced Uber accident lawyer, a guide in this complex legal realm, can make all the difference. A skilled attorney who specializes in Uber accident cases will have the knowledge and expertise necessary to guide you through the legal proceedings and help you seek the compensation you deserve.
An experienced Uber accident lawyer, akin to a well-prepared interview candidate, will first assess the details of your case to determine liability and identify potential avenues for pursuing compensation. They will investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident, gathering evidence such as police reports, witness statements, medical records, and any available video footage from dashcams or surveillance cameras. This thorough investigation mirrors how employees need to gather all necessary information before they make important decisions.
Moreover, an experienced lawyer will understand the intricacies of rideshare insurance policies and how they apply to Uber accidents. Insurance coverage in these cases can often be more complicated than regular car accidents, given that different policies may come into play depending on whether the driver was actively transporting a passenger or was waiting for a ride request at the time of the accident. Your lawyer, deserving of the name expert in this sphere, will navigate this complex terrain and ensure that all parties responsible are held accountable.
Let’s say you were a passenger in an Uber vehicle when it was involved in a collision caused by another negligent driver. This situation is much like being an innocent employee caught in a corporate conflict, highlighting the importance of immediate action and expert advice. In such a scenario, your lawyer would not only pursue a claim against the at-fault driver but also work to maximize any available insurance coverage from both Uber and the driver’s personal auto insurance policy.
This comprehensive approach ensures that you have the best chance of obtaining full and fair compensation for your injuries, medical expenses lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages you may have suffered.
Benefits of Hiring an Uber Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles
Now let’s explore the role and benefits of having an Uber accident lawyer by your side during your claim process.
The role of an Uber accident lawyer extends far beyond simply filing paperwork and negotiating with insurance companies. They are your advocate, fighting for your rights and ensuring you receive the compensation you deserve.
Here are some key benefits of having a lawyer on your side:
- Legal Expertise: A qualified attorney specializes in personal injury law and has a deep understanding of the laws and regulations surrounding Uber accidents in Los Angeles. They will use their expertise to navigate the legal system on your behalf and build a strong case.
- Investigation and Evidence Gathering: As mentioned earlier, an attorney will conduct a thorough investigation into the accident, gathering crucial evidence to support your claim. This includes obtaining accident reports, analyzing medical records, interviewing witnesses, and consulting with experts if necessary.
- Negotiation with Insurance Companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be complex and intimidating. Your lawyer will handle all communication, including negotiations, settlement offers, and any potential disputes. They will work tirelessly to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your damages.
- Representation in Court: In some cases, it may be necessary to take your Uber accident claim to court. A skilled lawyer will provide strong representation throughout the litigation process, presenting your case effectively and advocating for your rights before a judge or jury.
- Maximizing Compensation: The primary goal of an Uber accident lawyer is to help you obtain the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and losses. They understand the various types of damages you may be entitled to, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future medical costs. Your lawyer will fight hard to ensure that you receive appropriate compensation for all these damages.
By enlisting the services of an experienced Uber accident lawyer in Los Angeles, you can level the playing field against powerful insurance companies and increase your chances of receiving fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
Lyft and Uber Accidents in Los Angeles FAQs
How much time do you think this case will take to resolve?
The time it takes to resolve a Lyft or Uber accident case in Los Angeles can vary significantly depending on factors like the complexity of the case, the extent of injuries, insurance company negotiations, and whether it goes to court. Cases can take several months to several years to reach a resolution.
Who can I sue if I am in an accident with an Uber or Lyft service in Los Angeles?
If you’re in an accident with an Uber or Lyft service in Los Angeles, potential parties to sue may include the Uber or Lyft driver, the driver’s personal insurance, the rideshare company itself, or other at-fault drivers. The specific parties involved depend on the circumstances of the accident and the extent of liability. Consulting with a personal injury attorney is advisable to determine the appropriate course of action.
Where can I find an Uber accident lawyer in Los Angeles?
The Capital Law Firm team has personal injury attorneys who are competent and well-experienced in dealing with Lyft and Uber accidents in Los Angeles.
Uber Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles
The Capital Law Firm is the go-to legal office for those who have been involved in a Lyft or Uber accident and need legal assistance. Our team of experienced attorneys has a wealth of knowledge and expertise when it comes to navigating the complexities of Lyft and Uber accident cases.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation!